Light/Dark – having a light routine can help little babies – dark at night, light during the day.
- Moving shadows, especially under a tree.
- Following a torch with their eyes. See Torch Chasey!
- Moving shadows using a torch (this can be a lifesaver on night car trips. Always keep a torch in the car)
- Chasing a shadow for a mobile baby.
- Chasing a spot of light around the floor.
- Crystals or dream catchers.
- Moon Gazing.
- Little babies see black and white patterns best.
- Red, then bold colours of blue and green develop next.
- Pastels are the last colours to be seen.
- Mobiles can be made from straws or pipecleaners.
- Tie ribbons or shoelaces onto a handle (spoon, ruler, …) and move them around.
- Have a string across the room and dangle things off it – keys, spools, teething rings, …
- Watching birds or ants will fascinate older babies.
- Watching streams carry leaves or drips off plants. See Jumping in puddles.